Meeting rooms are for use by the library and for affiliated library organizations and activities (i.e. Friends of the Library, Summer Reading Programs, Story Time, etc.). When they are not being used or needed for library purposes, they are made available to the public under the terms and conditions of this policy.
STATEMENT OF POLICY/PRINCIPLES:
- Carter Memorial Library is a public facility built by private donations and taxpayers of the city and county, and is used primarily for programs and services of the public library.
- When meeting rooms are not being used for those purposes, they are available to groups, organizations, and individuals according to the guidelines and restrictions of this policy.
- Use of library meeting rooms/space shall not be disruptive or conflict with normal library operations or services. Requests for use may be denied or meeting room privileges suspended on this basis.
- The library meeting rooms are for meetings and programs of an educational, informational, cultural, or civic nature that enhance the library’s role as an institution which connects people with information.
MEETING ROOM RULES:
- The meeting room should be left in a neat and orderly condition. Furniture that has been rearranged must be restored to its original arrangement. Groups or individuals will be charged for damage to rooms and furniture beyond normal wear.
- The library assumes no responsibility or liability for accidents or loss of individual property in the Carter Memorial Library.
- Smoking (including e-cigarettes/vaping) and consumption of alcohol on library premises is prohibited.
- Refreshments may be served in the meeting room but cooking is prohibited. Any individual or group serving food is responsible for cleaning up the room and not leaving any food behind.
- An estimated attendance count for the meeting will be provided at the time of application.
- Failure to abide by meeting room rules may result in suspension of use.
- Check bathrooms for cleanliness and shut off all lights inside the building.
- Make sure door is locked when leaving.
PROCEDURES FOR APPLICATION/SCHEDULING:
- All meeting room scheduling is done through the library during normal open hours.
- Reservations are preferred at least two weeks prior to the meeting date.
- An application for meeting room use must be completed and submitted with the appropriate fees in order to reserve a meeting room.
- The library must be notified at least two business days in advance if any event is cancelled. Lack of notification will result in the loss of payment for that meeting. In the event of inclement weather, fees will be refunded only if the library closes.
Please note: a meeting room is not considered booked until verbal or written confirmation is issued. This occurs upon completion of the application and payment of any fees.
Priority for scheduling use of the library will be given in the following order:
- Library and library system activities
- Library-affiliated and co-sponsored activities: organizations which include representatives of the library, acting in their official capacity or groups which have been asked by the library to provide a program which meets library goals and objectives; co-sponsorship also includes groups that have asked the library to provide a tour or program for their membership meeting
- Public programs, presentations, and meetings free and open to the public
- Programs, presentations, and meetings closed to the public with no fee charged.
- Programs, presentations, and meetings that are either open or closed to the public where a fee has to be paid to attend.
Fees are as follows:
- Library, library system, library-affiliated groups, library co-sponsored groups: NO CHARGE
- Public programs, presentations, and meetings that are free and open to the public: $5.00/hour
- Programs, presentations, and meetings that are either open or closed to the public where an attendance fee is charged: $30.00/ 4-hour time block
Only the equipment listed is available and arrangements must be made at the time of application.
- (1) podium (movable)
- (5) long tables, (1) corner table
- (25) chairs
- WiFi (always accessible)
Handicap accessibility is available if arrangements are made at the time of application.
ABOUT THE ALDER ROOM:
- Dimensions: 30’ x 24’
- Occupancy: 46 people “auditorium” style / 24 people “conference” style
- Equipment: sink (in adjoining kitchenette)
Adopted: 12-14-2012 Revised: 2-29-2016