The Carter Memorial Library Board establishes this Internet policy to ensure appropriate use of Internet resources within the Library.
Computer use has become an integral part of many library activities. Through the Internet, the Library can provide information beyond the confines of its own collection. This allows patrons to freely access information, ideas and commentary that would not otherwise be available. The Library believes that it lies within the scope of its mission to provide access to the Internet to its users in order to meet their cultural, educational, informational, and recreational needs.
While the ability to access information on the Internet provides a wealth of material that is personally, professionally, and culturally enriching to individuals, the Internet enables access to materials that may be offensive, disturbing, illegal, inaccurate and/or incomplete.
The Internet is an open, worldwide communications forum. In this respect, the Library cannot control or monitor material on the Internet. Individuals must accept responsibility for determining what is, and is not, appropriate.
With the freedom and privilege to access computer networks comes the responsibility to use them in a responsible and ethical manner that includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- A patron must present their library card at the circulation desk to use the Internet. On the first visit, the policies must be read and disclaimer signed. A brief training session will be provided, the content of which will depend upon the skill, the experience of the patron. Only the cardholder may use the Internet.
- Youth under 18 years of age will be required to have a parent or guardian sign the disclaimer also. This must be done in person at the Library (Once the disclaimer has been signed, a computer sticker will be placed on the patron's card. The sticker indicates a signed disclaimer on file.)
- You must have fines/fees on your card paid in accordance to the circulation policy. (No fine/fees over $5.00)
- Use of the Internet is available on a first come, first served basis. Time slots of 30 minutes are standard if someone is waiting. If no one else is waiting, there is no time limit.
- Patrons may reserve a time slot at the circulation desk if all Internet access computers are busy. They should check at the desk when it is time for their turn.
- Printing is 15 cents per page.