The Carter Memorial Library Board establishes this internet policy to ensure appropriate use of internet resources within the library.
A. APPROPRIATE USE OF LIBRARY INTERNET ACCESS
- The library provides free computer and wireless internet access to the public as an infomational, educational and recreational resource. The use of all forms of that access is bound by this policy.
- The library shall require a valid library card or photo identification to use library equipment to access the internet.
- The library may impose restrictions, such as time limits or types of use.
- All patrons and staff shall use the interent in a responsible manner, consistent with the educational, recreational and informational purposes for which it is provided.
- Youth under 18 years of age will be required to have a parent or guardian sign an internet user agreement for minors. This must be done in person at the library.
B. PROHIBITED USE
1. The following uses of library internet access are prohibited:
- Viewing, distributing or displaying visual depictions that are obscene.
- Viewing or displaying visual images that are harmful to minors.
- Misrepresenting oneself, for fraudulent or illegal purposes, as another user.
- Attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to others.
- Sending threatening or harassing material.
- Engaging in any activity that creates an intimidation or hostile environment.
- Disseminating anyone's personal identification information without permission.
- Seeking unauthorized access to any computer system.
- Making changes to the settings or configuration of software or hardware.
- Making unauthorized copies of copyrighted or licensed material in any form.
- Using software not installed by the library.
2. The library reserves the right to monitor access to the internet to ensure compliance with this policy.
- Library staff will ask users to end their access to the internet if they observe behavior in conflict with this policy.
- Users may be banned from future access to the internet based on the infraction and the number of times the infraction has occurred. The first offense will result in being banned from library internet access for at least one month; the library director shall determine the repercussions of further offenses.
- Library staff shall notify the police of willingly unlawful behavior.
Adopted: 8-25-2003 Revised: 2-29-2016